09 February 2009

The summer

I should have informed you all as to my plan for the blog...as it turns out there will be both Spanish speakers and English speakers reading, and so from here on out I will alternate the language of my posts, both for the benefit of both audiences and for the propagation of my learning of Spanish, etc.

Today I mentioned to my professor from Madrid, Spain that my name "Timoteo" in Spanish means "honoring God" and that this can be noted by the "-teo" suffix, which is a fairly clear reference to God "theos" or something along these lines. She went on to say that "timo" can come from the verb "timar" which means to "swindle" or "rip off" and so I guess I should not get into etymological discussions with my professors if I can avoid them.

As to the stated topic of this post, I am extremely endebted to Kelly Washbourne and Roberto Pizarro for the help they have lent in making my summer dreams begin to come to formulation. I am in kind of a stressful point right now, as I have decided to give final word on one possibility for the summer in a month and a half, and as of now I have nothing else on the table. The problem is that I cannot quite decide where I want to go. Colombia holds much intrigue and many connections for me and my brother Joe, and hence I would love to pass part of the summer in Bogotá, however I don't know how I would start getting myself established there unless I simply arrived and tried to find some work from there. I would like to try and continue teaching at the university/high school level, and then have this cover my expenses while at the same time taking some classes, working on translation jobs, and overall seeing what else is possible with my new career decision. My only thought is that I would like to spend this time abroad with someone else. Overseas experiences are never quite the same without someone with which to share them, and up to this point I have not yet found that person.

There are new possibilities popping up every day, all of which seem interesting and compelling. And yet the Lord tells me in prayer, when I am quiet and still enough, which is not often, that only one thing is needed. And Mary has chosen the better part. Lord please aid me in this quest, and I would appreicate the rest of your opinons as well.

1 comment:

Rudz said...

"so I guess I should not get into etymological discussions with my professors if I can avoid them."
LOL. Very 'Tim' comment, you are a pleasure to read, bud.
We will travel yet. I have been talking about either Montenegro or Azerbaijan/Armenia for spring break, and it occurs to me that it doesn't matter if I go, we'll go there eventually. Woohoo!