29 April 2006

Milestones


Another day has passed, another involvement has ended, goodbyes have been said, gifts and thanks exchanged, photos taken and memories solidified in our minds. I did not realize before how difficult it may be to step away from here. I have come to know Ames as a home and the people I have grown with here as family. The words "you don't know what you have until it's gone" have more truth for me now than ever before...and yet there are other words. Other truths. Whatever may be taken from us, no one can ever touch the relationships we have formed, nor the memories we have made. God gave us these that we might build upon them, and by the strength and hope we gain go on to conquer the world. Thank you to all of you who have been such forces in my life. I can in no way list you all, as you continue to touch me every day in ways that none of us fully understand. I would appreciate your continued prayers as I move on into the next epoch in my life. I must confess that it has always been a dream of mine to move beyond Ames to see what the rest of the world holds. Though I have enjoyed my time here and have formed relationships that I will keep with me forever, I must move on. I am called to something different, it may or may not lie in Peru, it may or may not lie in New York City, it may or may not lie close to my hometown in Illinois, but wherever it is I will seek it with all of my strength. It is one of my dreams to satisfy the tugging in my heart that has always kept me questioning. If you found me restless in recent months, this is the cause. I yearn to discover my part, and though I do not know completely what it is, it unfortunately does not lie here. And that's ok. I assure you that I will return to visit, I will never forget all of you who have touched me in even the smallest of ways, I am amazed at the ways in which God works. I will pray for you as well, of this I can also assure you. Yet in this time, I must pursue the dreams of my heart wherever they lead. God is good, with and in Him I will find peace. May you too, question the world and follow the dreams of your heart.


PS Thank you to Stewart for the photo from my last day of work at the Knoll!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tim- I'm so glad you touched on this... I had such a hard time leaving to go volunteer but I think I was so excited because I knew my ideal life was up next...

Yesterday I got back from New England.. when the plane took off.. I was crying.. strangers around me looked at me.. but now I realize that I'm meant to serve.. last night I hung out with high school friends.. and I'm going through culture shock.. I knew I would and it's hard they don't understand what I was doing.. they complain of going to school working 30 hrs a week.. I want to say to them.. you're blessed to be at school a lot of people don't have the option and hey you're working.. some people in this world can't get jobs.. but they are small minded.. thanks to Heifer I have learned this and found myself.

Thanks for your help and guidance.. I'm going to miss you :(.. but I would love to come out east and visit you and I'm going back to Heifer in the next year.. you know it's hard saying good bye to animals. Anyways.. know that I'm always here for you and I think and pray for you often..

God Speed,

Ellen