03 February 2007

Tampa!!!

So, after being held transfixed by the landscape of clouds above Tampa, we descended to the unfortunate reality that my first day in Florida is overcast, though the temperature is around 60 degrees so it's not too bad!! Tonight I will spend in a hotel that does not have wireless internet, so I am still at the airport using the free wireless! I know I'm cheap, and I think in Spanish it's "tacano" or "codo". I think those capture it a lot better than the English adjective "cheap". I like it here so far, though I think one of the most difficult things to overcome on the cruise will be the heat! Up in the northern states we complain about the cold temperatures, but in reality I think the lower states and the Caribbean actually get tired of the heat. I got a taste of it in Peru where it was sunny every day we were there (it never even looked like it was going to rain), but there it got cold at night so I got a taste of both worlds!!!

I must admit that sales challenges me to adapt my abilities, but not in a bad way. All we do as salesman is help a client to find that which they desire to have. And with these clients they often do not have to worry about the price. I don't know that I can fathom that. Actually I know I cannot yet, because after a mock sale at training I succeeded in selling a work to a man for over $100,000, and so I was happy and walked away when in reality I could have sold him much more than just that!

Life is a learning process, and I am going to borrow from my friend when I say that I do not yet feel prepared to make the grand decision of my vocation in life and so this particular employment provides the luxury of getting to work and save some money while traveling the world and working on my people skills. What more could a single 22 year old man who loves people ask for? I thank God for this opportunity and look forward to sharing all that I learn with you. Please keep in touch and let me know what God has led you to in your own lives.

God bless and keep you always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tim!
Glad to hear you made it to Florida allright. I'm taking a Catholic Medical Ethics class taught by Father Barry and I was thinking the other day how much you would probably love him and my class. Hope all is well. :-)