11 February 2007

Barbados

Before I forget, here is a basic day in the Caribbean aboard the ms Veendam of the Holland America Cruise Line. Again I work for Park West Galleries, the world’s largest original works art dealer. As an art associate I cover all the small things, sell works to people before the auction begins, setup rooms, help the auctioneer in any way I can. Right now it is a lot of fun, because everything is so new and I make myself a more valuable component every day. We truly are a team. Andrew is wonderful to work with, one of the most forgiving and patient people I know who has developed tremendous relationships with people around the ship. Though I too have done my fair share in the past six days. My friend Yulianna complemented my people skills, saying I am easy to talk to and that I will have no problems aboard this ship. That is a sigh of relief for me, because I have endured some trials in my life that have left me unsure of myself. One big advantage to auctioneering is that it calls you to be confident and genuine in all situations. I have always been a very genuine person, but meshing that with eternal confidence has proven a challenge for me. Last night I did a mediocre presentation on Dali and Chagall, Andrew there the whole time to point out where I can improve. This is by far one of the greatest opportunities of my life. I see the world, learn how to sell things, learn about art which has always fascinated me, and get to know more and more people every day. The introductions really never cease as the turnover for passengers and crew is so high. The only downfall to this will be the sorrow of parting, as well as a sense of the transience of life. I do not fear that I will miss my family or friends too much, I know that they are well, and they know that I am well as well.

Ok, today…Woke up after an evening of cards and 75 cent Corona beer. A great time of spoons where one man could not get his stuff together no matter how much we tried to help him, it was very comical! This morning I woke at 7:00am, ready to head out for Barbados, then I rolled back over and slept til 7:45. Life’s tough, hey? Made it to the dock late, so my group had already left. I caught up in a taxi and was treated to one of the greatest physical experiences of my life! We climbed aboard a yacht of about 35 tons, 12 feet long, and over 100 feet tall with the mast. We cruised the Caribbean waters, so blue that you can see right to the bottom. Absolutely incredible. A nice three hour ride later I knew most of the people on the boat, including Mary. Mary is a woman in the autumn of her life, but she’s treating like the summer of her senior year of high school! She has found another man to accompany her in life, after her own husband passed, then has traveled the Caribbean with him, and remarked to me today that this yacht trip was the pinnacle of all her cruise experiences! Paints quite a picture doesn’t it? Funny that her name was Mary, and that she was in many ways similar to you Mary, now killin it at Costco, yet further along down the road. She has picked up the pieces and moved on, just as you have, and she has ultimately found happiness. I realize that more and more wherever I go. The skipper on the boat today was the epitomy of contentment. He visibly relishes every moment of what he does, and is one of the most pleasant-natured men I have met. What a life to live! He sails for six months at a time at sea, with rotations for three hours of sleep. Great guy.

After a bit of lunch at the shop, a few purchases and we’re back onboard, I prepared to set up for our silent auction this evening in our very own art gallery. It’s pretty cool and I hope that it will attract a bit more business this evening. With the grace of God we will sell a few things. Andrew is still driving the boat in regard to these events, but he is very open to my input. Cornel has been awesome in getting everything set up for our events, and I am very thankful that I was not responsible for everything that he does directly upon arrival to the ship.

The guy I replace, Gordon, seems to have been an interesting character. He dated the girl who complemented me, who by the way is teaching me Russian in exchange for a Spanish lesson. The crew onboard is largely Filipino and Indonesian, some of the most generous and kindest people I know. Yesterday one guy by the name of Miftah offered me his soccer shoes and socks so that I could replace my sandals and play! I turned him down, but the thought that was there overwhelmed me. I am truly learning how to live as a community, how to qualify and not to judge, how to speak publicly and personally, how to sell, how to follow God (there is Mass onboard). God is so good in granting all of these lessons; I wait daily for what the next one will be. I cannot wait to see what else He will teach me today. I hope you all are well, and please know that God can teach us no matter where we go. We must keep ourselves close to Him, and then He will do the rest.

“My heart will not rest until it rests in you my Lord.” - St. Augustine, posted on a school of the Christian Brothers in Dominica

No comments: