08 February 2007

Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands....

These did not seem like the uncharted, virgin islands I had imagined. Everything catered to tourists, and I am quite positive they come every day. I am beginning to wonder if there are still any uncharted parts of this world. One of my friends aboard ship inspired me today by sharing how her boyfriend had spent some time teaching English in an Asian jungle. Maybe that will be the next step. Yet still, I feel there is something that all of this cannot touch, cannot fulfill within me. I find it funny how we all live life differently, and some of us realize more quickly than others of us, what it is that we truly need. I suppose that is our beauty, that we all need live our individual life to our individual goals, and in so doing discover our unique persona.

Puerto Rico gave me an opportunity to speak Spanish, and I got some comments on my language skills, such that I think I need to find a job in the future where I would make better use of my skills. For the time being, this job is a challenge in that we are trying to sell artwork to persons who are my grandma's age, and they are not very quick to part with their money. It is a challenge that I relish, because I feel the only thing missing is a strong rapport, something that my auctioneer understands. Yet he is only able to reach a segment of the population. So I bring the skills that can reach the other portion, and hopefully thus together we will conquer the objections that stand there before us and have so far prevented this ship from being very successful. I am glad for my placement and look forward to our next auction. But first life is rough in that we must spend 6 more days in a row in ports throughout the Caribbean, starting tomorrow with Dominica, the island where they filmed "Pirates".

I hope that you are all staying warm! I say that not in jest, just in wonder that I am worried about getting sunburned in the middle of February. God bless and keep you!!!!

No comments: