21 June 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

"A victim of the circumstances," in the US is often seen as a cop-out, something that you really could have avoided, but that you gave in to of your free will. Such has long been my perception of the phrase, but I am learning to think differently. Slowly I am coming to understand what it is like in other regions of the world, outside the warm, private, and un-fenced-in homes to which we are here accustomed. There are parts of the world where a home is something that is constantly in flux, where daily life is a struggle to merely provide for the most basic of needs. People are calling throughout the world for help, and we do hear their cry, we do send aid, but do we really understand what they endure? I for one, do not think that I can even begin to comprehend what life is like for the majority of the people who live in this world. I have long said that we here in the US do not understand poverty, and my suspicions are confirmed when I watch films such as "Slumdog Millionaire"

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIzbwV7on6Q) or the "City of God" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioUE_5wpg_E). I have yet to experience any of this first-hand, and by all rights the conditions in these particular places may and likely have already improved.

However, as they say with poverty in the metropolises here in the US, if you try to cure poverty in one area, it simply moves to another. Take for example the Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago....I did some internet research here and I think it is important that I point this out. The Lincoln Park neighborhood of Chicago is intimately tied to the "diaspora" movement of Puerto Ricans from their home land to the United States. As it turns out, what I had come to understand as gang violence that was rife in this area, in truth had a much deeper cause (see http://nationalyounglords.com/). The Puerto Rican people were fighting for justice, against an administration that would give them nothing and often repressed the men and women who at first only wanted a decent place to live, and the freedom to make a life. However as the controversy got more heated there were acts committed on both sides that crossed the lines, though the above website makes it appear as though the Puerto Rican movement was in the right (known as the Young Lords). I am now intrigued to do further research at DePaul University now seated in the affluent suburb still known as Lincoln Park to get to the truth of the matter.

This simple revelation indicates that the truth is not always what it seems, that we need to dig deeper and always ask more questions. It is never ok to write someone off until we have spoken with them, given them a chance, and really sought to understand their circumstances, for they may be, and often are far different from our own.

The principle I began to establish above relating to the movement of poverty can I think be simplified down to one simple, and truthful claim, "The poor you will always have with you," stated by Jesus Christ himself. And the world is constant proof of the truth contained in His words. I challenge you then to open your eyes beyond the world that lies on your front doorstep, in your state, or even in your country. Go there, or at least read a bit, watch a movie that presents you with the uncomfortable reality that not everyone lives in the same state as we here do. Not all of us has the ability to do something about this poverty, and the accompanying violence that can sometimes characterize the struggle to survive. But what impact will you have on the world at large? Will you perpetuate an ignorant society that thrives on what it has, but does not often think of how these things are possible? Does our prosperity truly depend on poverty elsewhere? All I ask you to do is think about it, think with me and open your eyes to the Truth. Yes it is challenging, and yes it forces us to look beyond where we may feel comfortable. But there is true freedom there, a better understanding of that man that walks by and speaks with a funny accent, or the family that converses in a foreign language, or the woman on the bus who veils her face; to us they may seem strange customs, but have we ever really asked why they are here?

And some of these persons are I daresay the fortunate ones. They were able to escape their circumstances to new opportunity for a better life here, which by the way is the only thing this country promises: the OPPORTUNITY for a better life, we do not have a right to any kind of prosperity outside of that which we ourselves go out and earn with the sweat of our backs or the fatigue of our minds. And these that come often have no fear of doing just this. And so, do we write them off as talking funny, or dressing weird, or do we ask the questions that lead to the truth? I think our lives could be all the richer for stopping, asking, and coming to a deeper understanding of the life experience of all God's people.

3 comments:

Kris Egan said...

Tim --

Amen, brother! I can relate to your reflective thoughts on poverty.

However, there is a unspoken form of poverty most of us are unaware of and/or take for granted. At some point, each person on this planet experiences it for varying lengths of time. It's emotional and spiritual poverty. Just as those are financially poor, many more are emotionally and spiritually poor. They are the "walking wounded" among us. They come from broken lives of divorce, drugs and alcohol, mental illness, prostitution, poor self esteem and perhaps live a life filled with resentment and self pity. This list just scratches the surface!

Last night, Kyle and I watched the movie, Gran Torino. It hit the nail on the head on many of these areas of poverty. If you have not watched this movie, it's a definite "must see" and one of Clint Eastwood's finest -- and possibly -- last film. Although I have not viewed Slumdog Millionaire, movies such as this and Gran Torino usually find a path into my heart because I can relate to the inner brokeness of the characters. That's why it's so important for me to reach out to the socially marginalized -- the quiet, shy, reserved person that most people would pass on by.
I've been that person and I'm sure I will be that person later in life. I have received the gift of hope through those that genuinely welcome me into their lives. It is worth more to me than any 401 K in the universe!

Take care, my friend! Keep on bloggin' in the free world! ;o)

Kris

Tim Malone said...

Kris! I actually noticed that movie "Gran Torino" last night at the video store and almost picked it up. Although I did not read anything on the cover, I agree that all of these hit a vein for me as well. I pray that you too keep on bloggin' and sharing your thoughts. There is so much insight contained in every one of us that we do not always let out, but need to in order to interact with and learn from one another.

Slainte my dear friend! I look forward to seeing you soon!

Tim

Kris Egan said...

Tim --

Hey! WOW! How wild is the fact you almost picked up Gran Torino at a video store last night! Can't get much more of a confirmation the Spirit was working between you, Kyle and I!!!!

Seriously, please do rent this film!!! I, too, didn't know a lot about the film; perhaps I had a greater impact that way because I had little or no expectations.

Anyway, once you view it, we'd be able to have an in-depth discussion about it and our recent posts discussing poverty on all levels.

Thank you for your encouraging and motivating words to continue my blog. I have been on a roll since you were in Dubuque for the wedding a couple weeks ago. It's definitely been a rebirth for my writing. Needless to say, it feels darn good to be motivated to write and to freely type my thoughts as fast as they are running through my head! Today marks my first anniversary of blogging. Amazing!

When you have time, I hope you'll check out the new posts I have written the past few days -- especially the two named The Daffodil Principle.

Anyway, I, too, am looking forward to seeing you in the next week or so when I am back in the Dubuque area. I've got a ton of ideas of people, places and things we can discuss to do between the Dubuque and Chicago area. Can't wait until you're out here with Kyle and I! Good times are definitely on our horizons this summer!

Take care and God bless, my friend --

Kris