04 June 2009

Thankfulness

There are so many things that I have to be thankful for in this life as of late, that I have not commented on due to the overly busy nature of my life. Now though, it is a beautiful day at home in Rockford, Illinois, and the outlook looks bright. Only three weeks ago yesterday I received the call to embark upon one of the most exciting and pivotal experiences of my life. A young woman who I now have the privilege to call a friend, called me in the midst of my final exam for one of the translation courses with which I have most struggled over the past year. She asked me whether I would like to interpret for a couple that was coming from Cuba to stay with and visit the church of her father, a Methodist minister in northeastern Ohio. After a day of deliberation and arrangement, I agreed. With that I interpreted before a congregation of Christians as the two pastors from Cuba shared their stories about their church that is taking shape in a country that once allowed for no such practices. They spoke of the differences between the governments of our countries, but how this does not affect the relationship between peoples. And truly this is the case for all of us. That we need to approach the person we encounter in one another instead of rely on all the preconceived notions and perceptions in our heads. We spoke in front of the church gathering, bible studies, a youth group, schools, and participated in various other church activities as well. We visited an organic farm, a zoo, went to a baseball game, and conversed at length at the home of the pastor from Ohio. It was in all an amazing experience, and showed me that God can work no matter the circumstances.

This changed me irrevocably. I am amazed at how God took my feeble abilities to speak two languages and brought me into a situation with people I had never met before, and allowed me to be the one to help them communicate. And now, even further, the pastor has been so gracious as to invite me to Cuba, to teach a class on the Theology of the Kingdom, the Gospels. My interests in Spanish and theology have reached a sort of climax, and all of this will contribute to the completion of my case study next year.

After I would complete it I feel that I may need to leave this economy for some time. Had I been born and raised, and then stayed here, I believe that I would have been able to remain and work here; but as I have experienced life differently: a more relaxed life, closer to family and friends, I feel that I need to return to the place where my heart was at rest, and where I jumped out of bed every morning. I know that it was a short experience, but I can remember never sleeping in in my bed in Peru. I was always up and out and on to the next thing. There was always something to do that day. And I was inspired!

However, speaking with the pastor from Ohio of late, the passion returned. I was able to speak with conviction once again, and I believe it is the force of God returning to my life. There are many accounts that still need settling, many problems that need resolution, but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. There is something in my life to look forward to. And I don't know that it includes the term "professional". I don't like the concept, I don't like the practice, I don't know though because there are definitely times when I want to be treated this way, and times when I do not. I struggle to figure out in my mind, where I want to be in this world, and what I want to be doing, but it is the struggle that helps us to figure out where we are going.

On a beautiful day like this I wish I could just go out and enjoy it. Wander around without a care or thought in my mind, but the reality is that my mind is always going, is always thinking, and cannot often be at rest. Perhaps this is why I have wandered so long and so far, and still have not come to anything concrete.

Interesting thoughts....I hope I am back to writing on here more often....thanks to those of you who have the patience to read....

No comments: