23 July 2009

Reflection on the 23rd of July

Today I lived a day very much like I would like to live every day of my life. The morning came somewhat late, but it was eased by the memory of a good time the night before surrounded by good friends in Davenport, IA, and a somewhat harrowing, but enjoyable drive home through the fog of southern IL. Morning brought immediate awakening and a conversation with my mother. It lasted long and covered our journeys of the past couple of weeks, mine to Iowa and hers to Oregon and California. It is amazing what a little inspiration can do in the heart of a free-spirit! We went on to talk about everything that was going on and I felt a great peace as I later talked with a very good friend over the phone. I spoke with only one or two other people all day long on the telephone, and it was refreshing to catch up at a leisurely pace, and not worry so much about missing out on other people's lives. With the remainder of the morning I took time to work on some computer catch up, though I did nothing constructive in the way of the work I will have to do at Kent in the coming year, nor did I do anything to catch up on the work that remains to be done for my translation internship. However after these efforts came a great dinner with family, one that I prepared with skills learned from some of the best friends I have ever known. After dinner I went running and the night was capped with a good movie watched with my brother and sister, who have been here with me almost since the beginning.

I am so blessed and I needed to reflect on this today. Too often we blaze through these situations and forget to reflect on how many blessings are poured out in the simplicity of each day. And that great things can be accomplished at a moment's notice. For today also brought what began as an ordinary bike trip to the store, and turned into an all out battle with rain-thrusting and lightning-bearing Mother Nature! I came out a bit wet for the wear, but in all loved it, howling and yelling and gliding through puddles two-inches deep! The food from what I bought on that ride made everything taste all the better. Just now I planned a bike trip from Rockford, IL to Lake Mills, WI. Why? You might ask, but I would rather like to counter that with the question, Why not? Life is too often mundane because we allow it to be so, it is up to us to make each day worthwhile and each day count in leading us to become the best version of ourselves. What have you done to challenge yourself today? How do you challenge yourself on a regular basis? What is your life leading you to become? Let us ask these questions and make our lives extraordinary!

1 comment:

Kris Egan said...

Tim --

You'll never know how much it touches my heart that you took last Thursday as a day of rest and leisure. A day to process and reflect upon your recent travels to Minnesota and to Ames. I am so happy that you truly listened to God's invitation to be more like Mary and not like Martha -- to rest and listen to yourself, your Mom and others -- by just "being still" and listening with your heart, eyes, soul and of course, your ears.

Earlier this summer I posted this poem on my blog. I received it several years ago from the former athletic director at the University of Dubuque. You and he would become instant friends as you are both passionate about life, spirituality and officiating basketball!!!!!

Here's the poem! May it touch your heart as it has mine!

Always --

Kris

The Best Day of My Life is Today!

Today, when I awoke, I suddenly realized that this is the best day of my life, ever!
There were times when I wondered if I would make it to today, but I did!
And because I did, I'm going to celebrate!

Today, I'm going to celebrate what an unbelievable life I have had so far; the accomplishments, the many blessings, and yes, even the hardships because they served to make me stronger.

I will go through this day with my head held high, and a happy heart.
I will marvel at God's seemingly simple gifts: the morning dew, the sun, the clouds, the trees, the flowers, the birds. Today, none of these miraculous creations will escape my notice.

Today, I will share my excitement for life with other people.
I'll make someone smile. I'll go out of my way to perform an unexpected act of kindness for someone I don't even know.

Today, I will give a sincere compliment to someone who seems down. I'll tell a child how special they are and I'll tell someone I love just how deeply I care for them and how much they mean to me.

Today is the day I quit worrying about what I don't have and start being grateful for all the wonderful things God has already given me. I'll remember that to worry is just a waste of time because my faith in God and his Divine Plan ensures everything will be just fine.

And tonight before I go to bed, I'll go outside and raise my eyes to the heavens. I will stand in awe at the beauty of the stars and the moon, and I will praise God for these magnificent treasures.

As the day ends and I lay my head down on a pillow, I will thank the Almighty for the best day of my life. And I will sleep the sleep of a contented child, excited with expectation because I know tomorrow is going to be the best day of my life, ever!

P.S. If a piece of prose ever reflected you, this is it! Love ya, my friend! ;o)