16 January 2007

Every high priest is taken from among men and made their representative before God, to offer gifts and sacrifices for sins. He is able to deal patiently with the ignorant and erring, for he himself is beset by weakness and so, for this reason, must make sin offerings for himself as well as for the people. No one takes this honor upon himself but only when called by God, just as Aaron was. In the same way, it was not Christ who glorified himself in becoming high priest, but rather the one who said to him: "You are my son; this day I have begotten you"; just as he says in another place: "You are a priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek." In the days when he was in the flesh, he offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to the one who was able to save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverence. Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered; and when he was made perfect, he became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him, declared by God high priest according to the order of Melchizedek.

-Hebrews 5:1-10

God indeed seemed to speak to us this past Monday as we had a tremendous tour of the Cathedral thanks to a man I will not soon forget. His humor and mannerisms make me think of how I may be in a few years!!! I thank God for Simon and Michael, who are both my elder and taught me so much in the short time we spent together. So often I get caught up in the business world, in trying to find a job, that what is truly important leaves my mind. However God is always there, quite often physically, to draw us back into reality. Accepting the reality of His life, of what He did for us, may in some ways seem crazy, yet living a life for Him we discover that in living apart from Him we were truly the crazier men. For though we accept many mysteries with Christ, it is only in leaving some things to God, that we can lead truly sane lives.

Fr. Luke, thank you for all you have shown me and done. I believe that everyone who gets to know you feels very close to you, that they can share their deepest thoughts, doubts, and dreams. And you are always so genuine, helpful, and loving. You show what it truly means to be humble and to give with all that you have to a world that so often only seeks to take. May God continue to bless you in His ministry, there are few who could do as great a job as you are doing.

Is the priesthood so radical? Devoting life to the One who gave it to us. Serving His people in the Church; teaching, loving, helping, feeding both physically and spiritually. God has called so many, and yet He needs many more. I imagine the freedom of serving Him every day, and yet am frightened by the prospect of loneliness. I know not what I seek, but believe that in continuing to seek I will ultimately find my life call. Thank you to all who have helped me along the way. I realize that everything I have tried is empty if God is not a part of it. And that the things I enjoy take on so much more life when I bring God into them.

No comments: