24 June 2006

Cañon de Colca y Atracciones

This entry has had a long time in coming so I may have lost some thoughts along the way, but here is the clearest view I can give you of the past week or so here in Arequipa. Colca Canyon is quite possibly the most peaceful place I have ever been, such majesty in such profound silence that permeates even the soul if you stop long enough to let it. Sure we had our hike, our guide Carlos who by the way is an incredible individual and has inspired me to become a guide in the future, our group, sightseeing, casualties - poor Emily who had to saw her cast off to be able to come...but none of it is satisfying. I am learning that what I love is truly the country and the people and not the tourism or the fact that I am away from home. I was away in Ames, but never felt such peace in my soul. While sitting on a roca of some size and contemplating life in general, analizing and breaking down my possibilities, I spotted a condor soaring far below me in the canyon and I felt a pang of jealousy at his ability to survive and thrive so easily with skills he has been given and is sure about. For us, it is all such a waiting and guessing game sometimes, frustrating.

Yet I have no doubt that God is with us throughout this journey. Though the Catholic Church down here is tainted by the haunting memories of colonial abuses, I have been able to find much comfort there. The Iglesia de los Capuchinos has a beautiful adoration chapel and mass every day at 6:30am, I could not ask for more. My life here is formed around things that are important to me. There is a group of kids that plays ¨vóley¨everyday, and with my height I am quite a force on the court as well. All these have helped me to draw closer to my own self-realization, and as it draws nearer I recognize more and more that my development will never cease, but as I become more comfortable in my own skin and with where my life is leading I can reach out to others so much more. And I understand now that this is what I truly love. I have helped so many down here through their struggles, and have even had a fruitful conversation with a former Catholic friend of mine. I thank God that we have it the way we do, with a small community of American students within which we can support and learn from one another, all the while experiencing a brand new culture which sits better with some more than others.

Sure I could tell you all about the things I have seen, the condors flying merely 2m above us, the beautiful city of Cabanaconde where there did not seem to be a care in the world beyond being able to provide enough to live, yet these would not well describe the more important development happening within all of us here. For that I say what I do. Poverty, it is relative. From my point of view there is more poverty in the US, maybe not so much materially, but rarely have I seen such a joyful community of people at home as I see everyday here in Alto Cayma where not so long ago, food and water were daily concerns. My friend Michelle made the comment that Maslow´s hierarchy of needs does not account for the fact that the people here, of whom many still seek the lowest needs of the hierarchy are happier than people in the US who have reached a point from which they should be reaching self-actualization. Yet who has actualized more? We are so fortunate where we live. But when we reach that highest point, we seem to create more problems, as if we need them. Yes, we are human and problems will arise no matter what, but where should we go from that highest point? This is the question that has plagued me for so long, and I am living it now daily. Learning how to answer it.

It is interesting however how all of this plays along with interpersonal relationships. How is it that we can look at things logically and understand that the situation could never work out, and yet we cling to it as to something to which we feel entitled. Almost alwas these attractions between us call on us to change our lives, make sacrifices, learn, and most definitely live out the true meaning of love. Yet why, when we can seem to have everything else figured out, do these situations hit us and leave us unsure of everything we have determined. Maybe I am too much of a romantic, all I know is that there are few feelings, few accomplishments in life that compare with the cultivation and living out of a solid and loving relationship between two persons who trust and share with one another. We are drawn to this, seemingly more powerfully than anything else that can compel our lives. Maybe this is why so many charge in blind and end up hurt and alone in the end. What a sacrifice to become a priest, and yet what peace.

New sights, new place, different values, new hopes and dreams, but we are called wherever we go. What will be my answer, I do not yet know. What will be yours?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow...I'll be thinking of you as you continue on this journey...even though it seems you already have it, peace be with you, Tim.

-Eloisa

Anonymous said...

Wow! Tim, thank you for sharing your soul with us as you travel along and allow yourself to answer the questions that lie within. the way you put your experience into words is poetry, and i feel blessed to be able to share in that with you. i can't wait to see you person and be able to appreciate your friendship that much more. keep allowing God to use you as a vessel. know you will be in prayers, and i can't wait to see you!

Anonymous said...

Tim, I always enjoy reading your messages... Wow, what an experience you are having. I often contemplate many of the same questions you are asking yourself, as I am still unsure what direction I want my life to go in. I know that trusting in God and believing that he knows what's best for me is my only option. I am glad that you are learning so much about yourself and growing spiriturally as well as culturally in your new surroundings. Enjoy and savor every experience you get! I'll be thinking of you.

Anonymous said...

Tim! I am so jealous, what can I say? I have seen the type of peace and serenity that you speak of in other people's eyes and stories but never experienced it for myself. I hope God continues to bless your travels and I love hearing about your adventures! I have two comments, first, and I quote "Maybe I am too much of a romantic, all I know is that there are few feelings, few accomplishments in life that compare with the cultivation and living out of a solid and loving relationship between two persons who trust and share with one another. We are drawn to this, seemingly more powerfully than anything else that can compel our lives." I guess it's the 'we are drawn to this' part that I want to pull out, don't you mean YOU are drawn to this, this is not necessarily an innate human experience, this is your experience, this is God affecting your thoughts (aka calling you). I gotta say I read a pretty clear call to marriage in your statements, and yet....and yet....the solid and loving relationship between two persons can exist outside of marriage as well, a friend, adviser, etc. I think you know in your heart what you really meant by that though. Comment number two: go easy on the kids you're playing voley with, lol I read that and imagined you leaping up and spiking the ball down and being like 'hah! beat that!'while playing with these little four foot kids, lol anyway wish you could've been in my head, it was funny. And last but not least, your mom!

Anonymous said...

Keep on Rockin in the Free World!

Thanks for sharing Tim...I will feed of the lustre in your eyes when we meet again!

Erik

Anonymous said...

Well pardon me while I play the grand piano. Ah Tim, I love ya. I finally got caught up on reading these things and couldn't be happier for you experiencing all of this beauty. I can't wait to see pictures. But even moreso, I'm glad that you are seeing true beauty from within the people there. That's a lesson that few travelers ever allow themselves to see. True beauty takes you by surprise, and never is that truer than when looking into the eyes of a mother who fully understands how to completely depend upon God to provide for the simple necessities of her family's lives. Or when hearing the laughter of a child who is oblivious to the circumstances of their poverty and is able to simply enjoy life for its innocence. So keep absorbing those moments, they're the ones that will really prove significant later on. Good luck figuring out who you really are and all that dramatic crap. Seriously, I know how much you realize about yourself when you're able to actually live rather that just exist, how it too often gets back here. So keep contemplating, keep questioning, and keep pummeling the kids on the volley ball court. Rock on Tim. Miss ya!