10 June 2006

Amigos

Today we ventured into the city within a city called El Convento de Santa Catalina. It didn´t take long to determine that St. Catalina is equivalent to St. Catherine of Siena, the convent covers approximately 2 hectares (1 hectar approx = 2.5 acres) right within the city of Arequipa. A beautiful place with all the streets named for Spanish cities, complete with a mirador (lookout) from which we could see the whole city, a comedor (cafeteria), and various celdas where the nuns used to spend their time. Today there is a community of approximately 25 nuns, whereas at its height 400 people lived within, leaving very infrequently. Over the past week, we began our work at Alto Cayma, shoveling cement for a techamiento or roofing of a medical clinic, Father Alex runs it with an incredible knowledge of so many different things. He is financier, engineer, spiritual father, director, as well as a priest. Inspiring... From Malta, where there is an incredible mix of cultures and hence a language all its own, a place I hope to visit someday. I have found a way to escape the endless lines of taxis who charge a significant amount of money to ride either alone or with people you know, to instead have the adventure of traveling in a makeshift bus, seemingly a family van put to the use of transporting as many people as will fit. It is a beautiful thing, I have met women of strong opinions against the US, schoolchildren of no more than 12 years, as well as young, aspiring musicians.

Last night, I met some older Peruanos who are also musicians. One of them reminds me of Nathan Fischer in that he has taken trips across Peru with just his guitar and the clothes on his back to share the music that flows straight from his soul. The people feed him and he sleeps wherever he finds a comfortable piece of ground. Yet again, another inspiration for living life to the fullest. What need have we singles of careers, as long as we pay the bills, we have the freedom to live our lives to the fullest. Life here is beautiful in that way. There was a beautiful contrast last night between the gringos and everyone else in the bar, I had to laugh!!! A quick note too, aparently my beard makes me look older as an older gentleman stopped me to introduce me to his friend. They seemed like a nice group of folks so I sat down and for the next few minutes had an audience, whose attention only faltered when I revealed my age!!! In no way did that end the conversation however, a great group of folks that I could definitely have spent more time with if I could have heard myself think.

Today we watch the mundial in the afternoon, Argentina plays Costa de Marfil (Ivory Coast) with my family here. Afterward with any luck we´ll go and get some more typical Peruvian clothes so I don´t stick out so much. Then a concert where I hope to be one of the only americans where my friends from last night will play. Music is so beautiful, and I must say I appreciate it so much more after having come here. The guitar guy whose name is Aldo has even offered to give me lessons as he plays almost any instrument I can think of. Including of course several traditional ones!!! I can´t wait to give you more updates. In the meantime, I miss you all, but know that I am having the time of my life. After this, I don´t know what I will do, but I can´t wait to find out!!! God bless you all!

No comments: