05 April 2009

Library

Here my thoughts can run wild and my hands can type unbelievably quickly. I enjoy helping others get their things done than I truly enjoy doing my own. In this sense I suppose that I try most to be a Christian and/or Catholic (universal). I love the insights given by editing, given a glimpse into an unfamiliar field. Yesterday I sat in on a presentation on the nature of the breakup of Yugoslavia, about which I previously knew nothing, but that I now could probably could give a general synopsis. There are times when I do not enjoy living and working in academia, but I must admit that the quest for knowledge, especially of how to do things, can at times be quite contagious and even addictive in this environment. More than ever before I am aware that knowledge is power. I can even feel my own inadequacy next to the giants of my field and alongside others in other fields that I encounter on a daily stroll through campus. Nonetheless, and no matter how appealing campus life may seem next to a job working 8-4, 40 hours a week, I can assure you that the work never ends, nor is there any good breaking point at which one can say, "I am done." This concept does not exist here, and so we proceed in the quest of "knowledge", but really should be qualified as book knowledge, for knowledge of some things outside academics is eventually forfeit. Hence it is important to ask as in all things, how important is this to me? That is before one would plunge into and/or return to academia to continue one's education.

Just some thoughts, I hope that you all benefit from my random and crazy musings! Love you all!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, nothing is more inspiring yet simultaneously disheartening than to glimpse the wealth of knowledge that some academics possess. Generally I get excited and want to dive in right away in a feeble but energized effort to try and catch up. I like when I get excited by learning... it's strange to almost feel the brain grow and I think you can almost get addicted to the idea of it. But you're right that we do foreit a different sort of knowledge if we get too involved in the world of books. We can miss heart, soul, social knowledge that can more critically impact how we interact with those around us. It was really good for me when I became aware of this and helped me want to shake off any false academic snobbery that I'd placed so much importance on. I use to mock the idea, but there truly are many forms of intelligence.