18 August 2008

Kent, OH

Here I am in a new town with new challenges and new places to explore, and the sense of excitement is only slightly tainted with the feelings of uncertainty that plague my mind. I had a great discussion with my buddy Mike last night about things to come next summer, and the years to follow thereafter. This whole grad school thing does not seem to fit the picture right now, or maybe the picture is too perfect for my oft random and inexplicable mode of life. I have enjoyed it up to this point, but am unsure how going back to school works itself in. Though I have always excelled in schoolwork, I can't say that it necessarily brings me passion. The passion I find lies in using the skills I have developed beyond the classroom. Some of my closest friendships have only been able to develop because of things I learned there.

I suppose a better approach to sitting here in my uncertainty is to go out and explore. But I find too that I am a rugged individualist in some ways and I shrink from having to have the official tour from my roommates. Do not get me wrong though, they are great folks; I think we are going to have an easy time of it this year. I am chilling in my room right now and have not had any interruptions whatsoever. We are also set back from the campus with a security system and everything, so there is really nothing to complain about. I love that nature is so close by here, and that there are seemingly dozens of surrounding small towns that are ripe for exploration.

For the moment then I leave you as I go out to see what I can see and report back later!!!

No comments: