10 August 2009

Time passes by....

I had the stunning realization today, that by December I will have gone half the distance between 20 and 30 years old. I remember when 30 was an age that I could never fathom turning, and now I come to see myself in a new light. I have been given many gifts and I could have easily followed any number of roads with fixed destinations, but I have wanted none of these. Now as I approach what some may consider "middle-age" (perhaps I exaggerate) I have to face the fact that I am not as young as I once was, and my age will catch up with my idealism at some point. Do not get me wrong, I would never choose to go back, and I am still capable of quite a lot in my time on this earth, that is as long as the good Lord allows me to dwell here, but I am beginning to realize my mortality and the coming of age in a very real way, and want to be ready for each time as it comes.

Up to today, I have lived life somewhat recklessly, with no consideration sometimes for the path of havoc and craziness that I leave behind, but today, I realize that it is important to invest along the way. We truly need one another, for if we find ourselves alone and unhappy at the end of all this, what have our lives been for? Still, although we are beckoned in to the secure jobs that offer insurance, health-care, retirement funds, and sick leave, what if we don't? What if we say no? What if we choose to live differently, and seek out what lies in our hearts and attempt to realize it in our lives? However this does not remove us from the need that we have to stay in touch, to reach out to those closest to us, and to all others that we encounter along the way in love and thanksgiving. God is very good in the life that He allows us the opportunity to live, but it is short, and we truly do have very little time to share the love and the riches of the lives that we possess. Would that we would all have the courage to live an examined life, seeking what lies in the depths of our hearts, and go after it with all our might! For if we do not, life may run its course and we will find ourselves forever lodged in a moment of silent desperation. Let us live freely, according to the rule that "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul, and body, and love your neighbor as yourself!" God bless and keep you all.

No comments: