02 August 2009

So....I'm getting better I think....

This blog began as a means for me to share my thoughts with the world, but the goal was really to lay them out there so that I could get a better grasp of what was going on inside me head, and since I have very few things that I hold in private, I place it out there such that you who read this may benefit from my introspection. Of late I have realized the true power of a blog, and the impact that our writing can have on one another. Unfortunately writing comes cheap in our day and age, and true, quality reflections are often hard to come by, but I do not intend to offer those here. They may come, and what I write may provide some good food for thought, but this is not so much an inspirational blog as it is an attempt to take a look at reality and learn from it. If my thoughts on my own life encourage you to take a deeper look inside yourself, and into your own life, then it has succeeded in what it is capable of doing for you. Over the years this blog has taken on many different roles such as a means of reporting on abroad experiences, a vent for my thoughts, a report on events in my life, and now a means for keeping up on my own inner life, and for others to keep up on me. It is interesting how the roles change over time, and I pray that the words that I write continue to inspire you as well as fulfill the different roles that it has to play now.

Today was a good day, an opportunity to reconnect with an old friend from the church where I served as a peer minister in Ames, as well as her husband who participated in an ultimate frisbee tournament. I sat and watched and learned much about the way a professional tournament is regulated, and on what rules it operates. It was also interesting to meet up with an old friend from Iowa State later on and show her around my hometown, which is now to be her place of residence meanwhile she works in Belvidere. It was also very good to catch up with several people at the local Festa Italiana, where many Boylan grads and alums gather to celebrate their Italian heritage. I am very grateful to one young lady in particular who helped me show my ISU friend around town, and with whom I shared a very solid conversation about how to go about choosing our vocation in life.

It was interesting to note how all things are interconnected at some point. We like to think that going to the other side of the world somehow sets us apart and makes us special, but in the end someone else has gone more frequently, done more while there, etc. This life cannot be measured in terms of accomplishments, but rather by the depth of the relationships that we share. So spend time with the ones you love, the other things will get done in their own time. As much as you can, focus on that which is most important in this life, for these are the things that allow you to live on beyond the grave. People will remember you for who you were, not for the amount of money you made, or how popular or how powerful you were. Live like you were dying. And love the life you live!!!

No comments: