02 June 2008

Kent State U

Initially I wondered whether I simply possess a repulsion to undergraduate school campuses, but as I have spent more time here I am more and more excited about the prospect of studying once again. Life is too short to ever cease one's quest for knowledge, and this is just another romp in that infinite field!

The campus is beautiful, but this time I do not let that be my sole promoter. I am compelled by the complexity of the program I enter, the diversity of students and people I have already found here in the middle of summer. The climate agrees with me, but as snow will soon come to drive all indoors, I care little for the impact of this observation upon my overall evaluation. Life here will be quick and there will be little time for play, but at the same time this will be good to continue to nurture and use the skilled gray matter I have been blessed with upstairs.

If I can comment on the memorial...I find it ironic that the memorials are so plain. There is an inherent contradiction in the fact that the University most likely did support the protesters, but cannot publicly adulate them for their actions. The only real outcome would have been that the university could have questioned the state's use of power, but as the university also has a vested interest in a positive relationship with the state, the question could not be proposed all that severely. Hence we have four patches of blacktop, raised slightly from the level of the lot, and each surrounded by six distinctive lightposts not three feet high. Interesting is all I have to say...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well written article.