22 October 2006

Truth is a beautiful thing

I am in the midst of writing an essay about the war in Iraq. What is it about now? Some have asked me, others just like to say "Yeah Bush is taking us to hell in a handbasket" to put some of their views quite lightly. For me personally, there has to be a deeper truth in all this. I cannot believe that this war was a grandly composed scheme to claim oil rights, nor that we entered the war to finish the wars of our fathers, and in many cases people claim one particular father-son relationship to play a large part in the reason for this war. The media bombards us with carefully crafted words that fall so sweetly on our ears and eyes, and yet they never seem to present both sides of the story. Thus one thing I learned from this foray into the realm of politics and the powers that be, is that we must look at original documents. They are at our disposal, and yet isn't it so much easier just to flip on the television, or fill out a subscription to National Review? I do not denounce these as great ways to keep up on what's going on in the world, yet truly who decides where they put their focus, or shall I say what? For as it has been put so aptly, "Money makes the world go round". We cannot exempt the realm of news reporting from this reality.

On that note, for those of you thirsting for a new viewpoint, and in my opinion some material that hits at the truth of why we went to Iraq, check out the points of Michael Novak. He is a Catholic theologian who gave a public address in Vatican City on the invitation of the U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See (would be a sweet job by the way!!!) as to how a war with Iraq was obligatory for the powers that were based upon the just war theory of the Catholic Church.

Check it out at the following link: http://www.nationalreview.com/novak/novak021003.asp

Let the truth be heard!!!

And yes, maybe ironically so after what I just said, his address was reprinted in the National Review magazine. Oh well!!!! Maybe that's a commentary on the magazine as a whole, I do not know, my Dad gets it and I have read it on occasion and it is generally very conservative and consequently good for me. Still I learn daily to open me eyes, so I would appreciate any of your suggestions!!!

God bless,
Tim

No comments: