30 October 2006

Political Correctness

Sometimes I think that all Rush Limbaugh's name-calling and downtalk of liberals is a little over the top, but then I meet someone who proves him right in every way. "Hey sweetie," she says, preying on my curiosity as to why a complete stranger would address me in such a way, then proceeds to shift her handshake to a hand hold, even beginning to caress it. Meanwhile, I'm thinking this girl is a hooker or is trying to sell me something. But me being the nice guy, or sucker, as these terms seem to become synonyms here in New York, I give her the opportunity to have her say.

It did not take long after hearing the name Greenpeace, a statement as to how terrible we are being to the world, and how incomplete the United States is compared to the rest of the world with their Greenpeace involvement, not to mention our discussion about "global warming", for me to realize that I would gain nothing from this conversation. And from the way the girl had approached me, I was not sure that I would want to pursue a friendship with her in any way.

So I expressed my disagreements, pointed out the fallacy in her reference to the idea that we went to war in search of more fossil fuels, and explained that based on our shared premise that we do not know how global warming began, there is no possible way we can stop it. After this she said, well it looks like we have a "conservative Christian" here with us. Now, is that not a form of stereotype? Would I not get in trouble for addressing her as a feminist, tree-hugging liberal? Ok well, maybe my label is a little stronger and more loaded, but my point is that the whole idea of political correctness is a sham. She can call me whatever she wants, but the minute that I label her, it is gender-stereotyping, or dare I say it? Profiling. An evil that must be avoided, except when it allows liberals to further their agenda. And this was the case with this reputable Greenpeace representative.

And so, I was solicited in a way that played on my sexual drive, fed some universally agreeable commonplaces about the environment, then given some faulty arguments to chew on (e.g. we went to war for oil; which she obviously knew to be untrue as she readily withdrew her claim after I pointed out its falsity), all in effort to bring me to conclude that I should join this organization. Yes I acknowledge these groups generate a lot of research that help our environment, but her comment that I must be a conservative Christian, removes any doubt that I am in the right camp.

Why would she say that? Because I responded intelligently to her scripted questions, intended to draw in those less likely to really know the issues? Because I know the truth behind global warming? Because I did not falter despite her somewhat sexual advance (she continued to massage my hand until I politely removed it from her grip)? Because I saw through her offered untruth? Because I stood up against something I disagree with?

Hmm, this then makes me an intelligent and informed, principled, truthful, and confident young white middle-class American man. So in a sense I can take her abandonment of my cause as a compliment. Yet how many people will be drawn in by her solicitation, and for what reasons?

Remain strong my brothers and sisters in truth, deception will come from all sides, but it is always to us to love those who would seek to deceive us, and reveal to them the untruths they speak. I do not say that this particular individual describes the methods or thought of all liberals, I think even Rush Limbaugh would admit that good comes from the liberal camp, but this experience exemplifies the group of "libs" out there who would do anything, no matter how unethical to get our support, and support means money so they can hold power. Yet what would they use it for? I simply offer the situation and ask the question. I pray that we would all choose prudently, to the best of our knowledge in the upcoming election.

May God bless and keep you all.

No comments: