01 September 2006

Our lives are blessed...

Not but two days ago, I had one of the most incredible days of my life...I do not even know where to begin, but will choose the obvious fact that I did not have an apartment. So in the morning I called a man named John whom I had previously spoken with, and whose place I had visited, but he did not answer his phone. So I proceeded to cook omelets for my friend Ed, who was staying with me in my subleased apartment (only for ten days mind you) and they turned out excellent. Possibly the best I had ever made! After that I came to school and called a woman whose name I had gotten from a man named Flavio, who had turned me down for the offer on his apartment, but still recommended that I speak with this woman Stephanie about a job. I called her, and she set me up with an appointment for later on in the day. I went to mass with Ed then, at a beautiful Dominican church not two blocks from Hunter College where we were, and will take classes. Directly after mass he and I parted ways, I sat down to eat lunch, and then called John. I asked if the apartment was still available, he said yes, I asked if I could move in that night and he agreed to pick me up! After that I spoke with a homeless man, who has now become a friend of sorts, also named John and whom I hope to lunch with every day after mass. His story I will leave for another day...

Chase Bank just recently opened in Rockford and so I proceeded there and, aided by a woman of an incredible mix of efficiency and friendliness, I set up an account. Directly afterward I figured out the 7 train to get down to the Princeton Alumni Club to meet with Stephanie. Walking into the place, I look one way and see the Chrysler Building towering over the landscape, and to the other I see the beginning of that dazzling place they call Times Square. Unbelievable I know, but I truly tell you anything is possible in New York; let me rephrase that: anything can be found in New York, because truly anything is possible no matter where you are. A year ago, sitting in my peer minister apartment in Ames, Iowa, I never could have dreamed I would be where I find myself now. LIVE IT UP!!! While we have the chance and opportunity, for to those whom much has been given, much is expected.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I definitely feel you in those last few sentences...I've been in Florence, Italy for a whole week now and I've seen so much that I'd only read about in books before. Things definitely can be idolized, but some things are truly worth it once you internalize them. I got to go into the St. John's Baptistry the other day and the mosaic gold-plated ceiling is breathtaking! I saw Galileo's tomb today!!! Freakin' Galileo!!! Hahaha That's one thing I never thought would happen...I'll live it up if you will! Arrivederci!!

Anonymous said...

That was Eloisa btw...ciao!!!