18 January 2010

Fire and Eyes

Has anyone ever asked you what you live for? Have you ever asked yourself? What is is that makes you jump out of bed every day and greet the day, eager to continue along the path that is your life? Is there anything in particular?

I live to see people come alive, to see the fire of passion for life rise inside of them and overcome them, and they are filled with joy and the inspiration to push on. When I see someone in despair it is as if my own heart sinks with them. I love when I see love, I despair when I see despair, I hope when I see hope, I can identify and empathize with any feeling. But I most love when people come alive. I have seen this in people's eyes, there are movies in which the camera zooms to the eyes as they observe the bonfire behind the camera and the reflection of the flames roil off the lens of the protagonist, however the fire burns so much brighter and truer in real life. It flows from the soul up through the corpus and into the ever-expressing, ever-observing, ever-readable eyes. The flame burns inside, and the person smiles and life is right again.

It has taken me my lifetime to figure out that I don't know exactly what makes me come alive, but I know when I feel it. Thus the importance of grasping those moments and situations in which our hearts are light and our love is true, remembering them and treasuring them and recreating them and reliving them at every possible opportunity. The road to fulfilling life begins with self-understanding. What do you enjoy? From there stem all the good things that God has in store for us in this life. For God truly wants for us what we most want in the truest part of ourselves. In being true to ourselves, to our desires, hopes, and dreams, we are being true to God. Be faithful, believe, and to thine own self be true, and you will be amazed at what you and God can do.

No comments: