04 November 2008

Let's go deeper...

So lately I have been shirking my fidelity to this blog in favor of chasing a career in translation, which at the moment is going quite well. However so many other situations have arisen in my life that have completely consumed my attention and I feel as if sometimes I simply run from one thing to the next in life. Life is too short to be running around like a crazy person and not staying in touch with those you love, and I am learning that very quickly and unfortunately the hard way. Still I do not know where this balance lies. I love all my friends and family very much, but at times I just cannot tear myself away from the work that I am doing. I am tenacious in pursuing those things of interest to me in this life and do not let them go until I am satisfied that they are done.

When it comes to translation, I am still learning and so these consume my time more than I might like, but in time they will become more manageable, especially with so many technological tools at my disposal.

We had an interesting discussion about the future of the translation industry today in one of my translation courses, theory actually. It was very good to hear a bit of prediction from the founder of our "Institute of Applied Linguistics" who seems to possess a keen mind for perceiving changes and trends to come in the industry. He foresees an increase in the corporatization of the industry, a characteristic that would lend itself very well to my managerial and interpersonal skill set. I am a fair translator, and will be able to improve with my work here in Kent, but will likely work in something that acts in conjunction with translators, rather than as simply a freelance translator of texts. Life is too short anyway to stick to one thing....

So many new developments in life, and so little time to discuss them all. What can I say, for the moment know that I am enjoying this time of searching, both for career and vocation, and learning much about the people in this world, both from the US and from all over the rest of it. I don't know what the future holds, but I look forward to seeing what tomorrow will bring!!!

1 comment:

Rudz said...

Amen, brother! I know how you feel about keeping in touch with people, it is a lifelong struggle and something that is difficult to be vigilant about. I'm always struggling to do the same, I feel your pain. Life is still pretty damn good! Keep blogging, love you man!
Rudz